House

The original building was a small house built about 1842. It was extended many times with the last major extension happening in 1896. At one time it had up to thirteen bedrooms, but these were subsequently reduced to eight. For the first 40 years of its life, Reveley Lodge served as a 'gentleman's cottage' in the country. Its wealthy owners had a large house in London, and Bushey acted as a healthy country area within easy reach of the metropolis. A number of similar houses were built in Bushey Heath and they functioned in the same way. Most have been demolished in the intervening years, or converted to other purposes.

The house has a large drawing room, library, dining room, kitchen and billiard room. The billiard room is now set out as a meeting room but it also contains a selection of Albert Chewett's paintings. The kitchen has been re-furbished and contains a cast-iron range contemporary with the age of the house. There is a large conservatory running along the rear of the house with a small fishpond within it.

The outside buildings include a garage, unfortunately a little too small for Mrs Chewett's Rolls Royce and which therefore necessitated the boot to be covered by a tarpaulin! 

There is a late Victorian restored stable for three horses in remarkably good condition and a large greenhouse associated with the kitchen garden.

We have produced a small booklet on the History and Owners of Reveley Lodge which is available at Mabel’s, price £3.

Victorian Stables

House Photo Gallery

Billiard Room

Billiard  Room  with Albert Chewett's paintings







© Bushey Museum Property Trust 2017